● As of Nov 2018, 179 countries have ratified ICERD.
Malaysia is one of only 18 countries in the world that have not ratified ICERD.
(ICERD is the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination).
● Not ratifying ICERD, Malaysia joins the ranks of North Korea, Myanmar, Angola, Bhutan, Brunei and South Sudan.
● The remaining countries are all small islands namely Cook Islands, Dominica, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Niue, Samoa, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Nauru and Palau.
● In the Muslim world, all Muslims-majority countries have ratified ICERD, except two.
● The only two Muslim-majority countries that have not ratified ICERD are Malaysia and Brunei.
● Countries are allowed to ratify ICERD with RESERVATIONS, which works like a caveat. Some countries have made reservations so that the convention would not supersede their constitution.
● Some of these countries include the US, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Nepal and Jamaica.
● This is not the first time Malaysia is dealing with something like ICERD.
● Malaysia had made reservations when it ratified the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) in 1999 to protect the constitution and the syariah law.
● There are nine core human rights UN conventions. Malaysia has, to date, ratified three:
2. Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC)
3. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD).
● Apart from ICERD, going forward, Malaysia will be confronted by five other unratified conventions:
1. the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR)
2. International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR)
3. Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CAT)
4. International Convention on the Protection of the Rights of All Migrant Workers and Members of Their Families (ICMW)
5. International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance (CPED).
Apart from ICERD, some political leaders have also suggested that the remaining five UN human rights conventions which Malaysia have not ratified are threats to the country.
Do you agree?
Before you decide, remember to read what they are all about.
All the informed facts about ICERD, read here.
This guide was brought to you by the Kini News Lab. If you like what we do, consider subscribing to Malaysiakini and support media independence: https://subscription.malaysiakini.com/
Like-Comment-Share this post.
In reality, Malay Supremacy and excessive handicapping will only further WEAKEN Malays and has no place in New Malaysia.
RATING: #RobertReview (Human Rights, Racial Discrimination, United Nations):
10 | 10
Published: 3rd December 2018.
WHO are ANTI Anti-Racial Discrimination cannot be Trusted as Peaceful Global Citizens
About Robren, The Ineffable Whisperer
2 Reasons Why CEOs, Celebrities and Fortune 500 Corporations Rely on Robren.
"Father of Asian Firewalking", AI Wizard, Strategist, Author, Change Expert.
1. Known as "The Father of Asian FireWalking", Robren has helped and trained over 250,000 students as an international keynote speaker, an in-house corporate trainer, a prolific Writer and a YouTuber. He spent over $100 million on creating marketing and A&P budgets while working as a Copywriter for 2 top ad agencies, Leo Burnett Hong Kong and Wunderman Thompson.
2. Robren is Asia’s #1 Change Expert, and founder of ChangeU. He is an NLP Master Practitioner and a US-Certified FranklinCovey Trainer for 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. His clients include Fortune 500 corporations and Top Brands such as Coca-Cola China, Hong Kong Jockey Club, CLP Power Hong Kong, Public Bank, CIMB Bank, Genting, Tabung Haji, Tenaga Nasional. He has been widely featured in the media such as TVB, AWSJ, CNBC, SCMP, The Star, and Sin Chew.
In summary, Robren is the CEO Whisperer, who advocates a work-life balance. He will take you to places you never imagine is possible.
View all posts by Robren, The Ineffable Whisperer →