Apply for the world’s toughest job. The rewards are amazing.
24 People Who Applied for the World’s Toughest Job Were In for Quite a Surprise
A brand’s great gotcha videos
By Tim Nudd
14 April, 2014.
The Boston agency posted this job listing online for a “director of operations” position at a company called Rehtom Inc. The requirements sounded nothing short of brutal:
• Standing up almost all the time
• Constantly exerting yourself
• Working from 135 to unlimited hours per week
• Degrees in medicine, finance and culinary arts necessary
• No vacations
• The work load goes up on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and other holidays
• No time to sleep
• Salary = $0
The job ad got 2.7 million impressions from paid ad placements. Only 24 people inquired. They interviewed via webcam, and their real-time reactions were captured on video.
Check out what happened below. It’s worth watching to the end.
Operations Management: Director of Operations
Area of Talent: Managers/Directors/Administrators
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Rehtom Inc.
Shift: Full-time, 24/7 on call
Salary: Pro bono/unpaid
Rehtom Inc. is seeking a Director of Operations for its long-term development department. The primary responsibilities of the director are to provide day-to-day management, leadership and support to up-and-coming development associates.
Essential Duties & Job Responsibilities:
- Oversee the overall day-to-day success and development of all associates. They are fully dependent on you.
- Provide appropriate solutions to satisfy all associate needs, including but not limited to comfort, security, support, growth, knowledge, well-being, structure, consistency, discipline, acknowledgment, preparedness, safety, mobility, capability, facility and tranquillity.
- Track daily, weekly and monthly associate development against assigned goals and expectations.
- Process high volumes of incoming and outgoing projects, deliveries, requests, complaints, feedback and special orders from associates and corresponding outside vendors.
- Provide operational leadership to multiple associates at once.
- Must be able to work 135+ hours a week
- Ability to work overnight, associate needs pending
- Willingness to forgo any breaks
- Work mostly standing up and/or bending down
- Must be able to lift up to 75 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ph.D. in psychology or real-life equivalent
- Crisis management skills a must
- Ability to manage a minimum of 10-15 projects at one time
- Ability to communicate at all levels (basic to advanced)
- Ability to improvise
- Proficient in handling sticky situations (literally and figuratively)
- Ability to coordinate multiple, often conflicting, schedules
- Ability to make independent decisions on behalf of others
- Ability to work with associates with minimal ability
- Ability to work in a chaotic environment
- Frequent travel; minivan driving experience a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach
- Flexible when it comes to surprise requests
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in negotiating, counseling and culinary arts
- Unlimited patience
- Understanding of social media, mobile devices and video games
- Understanding of finance
- Understanding of medicine
- Selflessly driven
- Valid driver’s license, CPR certification and Red Cross membership
- Ability to wear several hats, professional and domestic
- Positive disposition at all times
While no health or dental insurance, no pension and no paid holidays are offered, this job provides infinite opportunities for personal growth and rewards. Emotional fulfillment and extraordinary impact on associate success provides a lifetime of purpose and meaningful connection.
Project: World’s Toughest Job
Agency: Mullen, Boston
Chief Creative Officer: Mark Wenneker
Executive Creative Directors: Tim Vaccarino, Dave Weist
Creative Director: Jon Ruby
Associate Creative Director, Copy: Andrea Mileskiewicz
Associate Creative Director, Art: Blake Winfree
Executive Director of Integrated Production: Liza Near
Head of Broadcast: Zeke Bowman
Producer: Vera Everson
Account Director: Jessica Zdenek
Account Supervisor: Laila Lynch
Director of Digital Strategy: Eric Williamson
Senior Brand Strategist: Ryan Houts
Production Company: Caviar
Director: Amir Farhang
Executive Producer: Valeria Maldini
Producer: Jason Manz
Director of Photography: Brian Rigney Hubbard
Editing, Visual Effects: PS260
Editor: J.J. Lask
Assistant Editor: Colin Edelman
Senior Producer: Laura Lamb Patterson
Lead Visual Effects Artist: Patrick Lavin
Assistant Artist: Matt Posey
Audio Post: Soundtrack
Sound Design, Mixer: Mike Secher
Casting: House Casting
Casting Agent: Shawn Alston
Client: American Greetings
Executive Director, Marketing: Alex Ho